Saturday, May 17, 2014

Rain

Woke up this morning to yet another rainy day. Sigh. This got me to thinking of similar days when I’m on the road. To me there is nothing as soothing as falling to sleep in a tent as the sound of falling rain. Waking up to the same sound is another story, especially when I know that I must ride 50-80 miles in it to get from point A to point B. I remember the first time I encountered this situation when on a cross-state ride. I knew that there was no other option than to get on the bike and head out: my gear (luggage, tent, etc.) was being transported by truck to a town 63 miles away. Several people stood around just looking at the rain, while others hopped on their bikes and headed out. I remember thinking, “I am going to get wet. Might as well just get going." When riding on rainy days, there’s really no point in trying to stay dry: all the rain gear in the world is useless after the first couple of miles. The main thing is to focus on the destination and be safe along the way.


In education, there will be “rainy days”. Sometimes for weeks at a time. As much as we might want to stay snuggled in our comfort zones, our students need us to keep moving forward. Changes in teaching facilitated by the advent of Common Core and growth in technology call for continuous learning on our part. In the words of +LeahO’Donnell, “There is always something new to learn, and that can make us great.” Our students deserve our very best effort. Looking out the window and commiserating about the “forecast” does a disservice to them. We cannot afford to waste a single day. When clouds loom large and winds of change blow, carry on: the sun will shine again.



No comments:

Post a Comment